Discover how we at Mäd stay the course in the era of information overload that is bound to throw anyone off course into the procrastination rut.
origin: Italian, 'Tomato'.
The Pomodoro Technique is a productivity hack inspired by the famous kitchen timer in the shape of a pomodoro (tomato), hence the name. It's a time blocking technique that guarantees 25 minutes of focused, uninterrupted work; separated by short breaks.
The 6 core steps are as follows:
1. Decide on the task that needs to get done.
2. Set the (Pomodoro) time to 25 minutes.
3. Work on the task until the timer rings.
4. End the work when the timer rings. & give yourself a checkmark.
5. If you have fewer than 4 checkmarks, take a short break (3-5 minutes) & repeat step 2. If you have more than 4 checkmarks, you've earned yourself step 6!
6. Congratulations on completing 4 checkmarks, you deserve a longer break (20-30 minutes).
Resume step 1 when needed but be sure to reset the checkmark to 0.
Some of our team have tested, and resultantly adopted the Pomodoro Technique, and swear by the efficiency of it. In addition to this anecdotal evidence, there is scientific backing for the effectiveness and efficiency of it.
Simply put, the Pomodoro Technique is a solution to what's known as the Parkinson's Law.
The Parkinson's Law dictates that "a task will swell in (perceived) importance and complexity in relation to the time allotted for completion." In other words, if you have 1 day to finish a project, the time pressure gives you no choice but to focus on the essentials. However, if you have a week to finish that same task, it's comparable to making a mountain out of a molehill. Make the deadline 1 month and it becomes unbearable to even start.
Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.
The Key Takeaway.
Imminent deadline is key.
Shorten schedules and deadlines to stimulate focused action instead of procrastination. Accomplish more in less time.
Request a Proposal.
If you would like to #workwithmad then send us an email at email@example.com and let's Make It Happen.™